SET265 Project Management and Advanced Research
Research Project Journal Entry One
Student’s name: Will Humphrey
Title of project: Smaug: A digital archive of illustrations from different editions of J.R.R. Tolkien’s novel.
Period covered by this form: Contemporary Literature
Aims and Objectives for the project:
- Create a digital archive of various illustrations of Smaug from The Hobbit from different editions of J.R.R.Tolkien’s novel.
- Create a project which combines visual presentation, literary texts and the digital humanities. To showcase my analysis of a literary text such as a novel in a different format from the academic essay.
- I want to create project which will be able to be sustained and used after my project has finished.
Specific tasks and goals for the period covered:
- Identify the different approaches each illustrator has taken when creating each illustration of Smaug.
- Make it open for the public to able to contribute additional information or tags.
- Identify the differences and similarities between Tolkien’s textual description and the image the illustrator has produced.
Were targets met? If not, please provide details:
- Unfortunately due to majority of the illustrations being copyright protected I could not continue with my desired project.
- I am able to meet aims 2-4 with my new project idea which is a visual mapping of a contemporary novel.
- I met with my supervisor Julia Thomas and we discussed the issue of copyright with my project. I told Julia the three key aims I wanted to get out of creating my project.
- We discussed my research interests and aims for my project which lead me to a new proposal for my project. My new project is going to be a visual mapping a contemporary novel.
- Research what off-the-shelf software is available and accessible in order to create my project.